What nutrients are in Milk?
First, remember that milk is 87 percent water. The other 13 percent is solids.
Protein accounts for 3.2 percent of the solids in whole milk. Depending on what we choose to purchase, milk fat may compose nearly zero percent (non-fat or skim milk) and the other fat levels include 1, 2 and 3 percent.
Calcium is an essential element for both growth and good health. Milk is an excellent source of calcium. Food labels can tell us how much calcium is in one serving of food. Look at the % Daily Value (DV) next to the Calcium number on the food label.
One cup (eight ounces) of milk provides 25 percent of the Daily Value of Calcium for an adult.
For good health, consume at least three servings of milk or milk products daily.
Back to Top
Chocolate Turtle Cheesecake - NEW!
1 (7-ounce) pkg. caramels
1/4 cup evaporated milk
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1 (9-inch) chocolate crumb pie crust
6 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/4 cup milk
1 (3.9-ounce) pkg. chocolate instant pudding
1/2 cup fudge topping
Place caramels and evaporated milk in a saucepan. Heat over low heat, stir continually until smooth for about 5 minutes. Stir in 1/2 c. chopped pecans. Pour into pie crust. Combine cream cheese and milk in blender. Process until smooth. Add pudding mix, process for about 30 seconds more. Pour pudding mix over caramel layer, covering completly. Chill, loosely covered, until set (about 15 minutes). Drizzle fudge topping over pudding layer in a decorative pattern. Sprinkle top with remaining pecans. Chill loosely covered until ready to serve.
Yield: 1 9-inch pie
From: Author Unknown
Shared by: Peggy, Home Cooking Guide
Back to Top
Golden Pumpkin Bread
Bake this harvest favorite quick bread in miniature loaf pans to give as gifts.
Preparation time: 15 min Baking time: 30 min
||cups all-purpose flour|
||cup firmly packed brown sugar|
||cup canned pumpkin*|
||cup Butter, softened|
||teaspoons ground cinnamon|
||teaspoon baking powder|
||teaspoon baking soda|
||teaspoon ground ginger|
||teaspoon ground cloves|
Heat oven to 350°F. Combine all ingredients in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed.
Spoon into 3 greased mini(5 1/2x3-inch)loaf pans. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan. Cool completely. Store refrigerated.
*Substitute 1 cup mashed cooked pumpkin.
Bread can be baked in 1 greased (9x5-inch) loaf pan. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Back to Top